From:
g raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:47:59 -0700
(permission to post)

i've been supporting a mother for 6 months now, baby 10 mos old, exclusively breastfed with mid-year intro to solids.. the saga started with green poo (which we thought was a foremilk/hindmilk imbalanced at first) but turned out to be gut damage by an intolerance to dairy in mother's milk (determined from mothers own observations and diet changes).  mother has been dairy free for about 4 months but baby still has pretty bad eczema. mother took him to hp who gave him york allergy test.. he tested highly allergic to almost everything....
mother was also tested and tested positive to egg and dairy... mother has commented (before all this) that she has poor gut health.

mother is of south asian descent..  baby's weight gain is good.

mother has cut out further things from her diet in order to sort out his eczema with no luck ... she is most concerned on whether she can eat the things that her son tested positive to.

i suggested she go on an no allergen diet and add things in slowly and just *see* what causes him problems... but she's feeling pretty freaked out that her son is intolerant to so many things.

i assured her that breastmilk is the most important food for him right now and she's cool with that... BUT, she's again, worried that what's in her milk is causing him the most trouble..

my question: does anyone have any experience with YORK test.. is it appropriate tool for a 10 month old baby?

i'm so frustrated that there just doesn't seem to be any up-to-date info.. everything is so old-fashioned.. and i'm wondering if anyone is familiar with publications on some cutting edge allergy/gut health research.... especially from a holistic point of view..... i've been down the "classic" medicine allergy road several times and it never leads anywhere...

she is going to a homeopath, has baby on probiotics (naturopath recommended it, interesting given current thread on subject) and is taking omega oils herself.

does anyone have any further ideas??

i feel like this is one of the greatest challenges for me as a bfc... there are never any answers, never research to go to, it's all such a rabbit warren of speculation! but i'm very very keen to learn...

if you'd like to contact me offlist my email is [log in to unmask]

many thanks
georgia
bfc uk