From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 18:27:48 -0700
Jeannette:  I have to clarify that I didn't criticise the first IBCLC.  This
mom came to me because she was unhappy with only being given one option (the
shield) which SHE considered unacceptable.  I never said "Boo" about the
shield or the other LC, and in fact I said it (the shield) was and would
remain an option should she change her mind.  This mom wanted nothing to do
with the shield or the other LC after I presented what SHE considered to be
a more palettable option (the long list I posted yesterday including
massage, baby-wearing and homeopathic teething drops).  My follow-up with
the other LC is what prompted me to post regarding the "consensus" for
managing teething 9 month olds who are sliding down the nipple and getting
furiously frustrated with engorged gums.  My biggest problem with the shield
in this case is that it only treats a symptom and not the underlying
problem.  This baby needed some relief from what was obviously horrible
pain.  The mom did not want to use Ibuprophen, but had tried Tylenol
(unsuccessful).  The first LC was the one who was "shocked" (her words) that
I didn't "insist" she try a shield.  BTW, I have never insisted that a
patient do anything, so we clearly have a gap in practice styles.  Thanks
for your input.
Warmly,
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
mom, wife, educator, lactation consultant, researcher, scientist, author,
organic gardener, photographer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner.