From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:00:07 -0500
In regards to what Terriann posted about someone at the LLLI meeting saying
they'd been misquoted on LactNet and then received hate mail:

First, no one should ever be sending anyone else any hate mail.  If someone
royally pisses you off, write them an extremely nasty and vitriolic email.
And then put it in the trash can instead of sending it!!  Wait until you are
calmer and then write a nice note to inquire if perhaps you misunderstood
what was said, or simply say "I heard you said X.  Did you really say this,
and if so, could you please explain more, because I thought the usual
recommendation was Y."  There are ways to be polite, and one should always
give others the benefit of the doubt before flying off the handle.  There is
no excuse for anyone sending anyone else hate mail.

Second, at the same time, all speakers should certainly realize that not
everyone hears what you said, and interprets it, with 100% accuracy all of
the time.  In fact, I'll bet that seldom happens.  As a college professor,
I've seen some pretty darned amazing things written down in the notes
students have taken from my lectures.  Problems may start when lecturers
talk too fast, are disorganized, don't have good overheads or handouts,
assume too much prior knowledge on the part of the audience, or even because
the room's acoustics are bad or there are too many baby noises and/or side
conversations.

Likewise, when you send a manuscript to a professional journal and it goes
out for review and it comes back with comments about how you shouldn't have
said "X", one's initial reaction is "What a moron.  How could they think I
said "X"?  I clearly said "Y"!"  Well, obviously, it wasn't so clear, or the
readers wouldn't have misinterpreted it.  So you need to go back and edit
and make it crystal clear.

All of which is to say that it is ridiculous for speakers to think that 100%
of their audience will understand exactly what they say 100% of the time,
and represent it with 100% accuracy to others when they are recounting the
information.  And that if said speaker(s) want to make sure that their views
are accurately represented on LactNet -- the most important source of
information and advice and support available to lactation consultants around
the world today -- then they can join LactNet and provide their information
and views directly!

Kathy Dettwyler