From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:06:50 -0400
Virginia asked:
>I'm not sure how UK babies were given cod-liver oil, whether by spoon or
put into a nursing bottle with the reconstituted dried cow's milk. Anyone
know?<

I remember being given cod-liver oil in a spoon, and also my mother feeding
it to my sister that way. I was fed the orange juice diluted in water in a
small glass, while my baby sister got it by spoonfuls. Both the oil and the
OJ were disgusting.

Farley's Rusks were still on the shelves of Boot's Chemist when we took our
own children to visit their grandparents in London in the  early 1980s. So
was Gripe Water, given to babies to "bring up wind" and for colic. At that
time I think it may still have contained some alcohol, but I may be
mistaken over that.

School milk often arrived at our school late in the morning. The crates sat
in the sunshine and we sometimes did not get to drink it until afternoon
playtime, about 2:30pm. One of my friends had a note from her doctor
excusing her from drinking the milk - it was compulsory - because it upset
her stomach, and the teacher made fun of her because of that. In the 50s we
did not know about lactose intolerance or bovine milk allergies, so not
drinking milk was considered to be quite unusual.

Some of the more poorly-nourished children in my primary school were given
spoonfuls of *malt* at both morning and afternoon playtime by the
playground attendant. She had a huge jar of the stuff, and one or two large
spoons which were shared by the children. This was to *build them up.*
http://maltproducts.com/what-is-malt-extract.html
>Malt Extract is made from whole grains and naturally processed so that the
resulting sweetener has nutritive value not found in other starch
sweeteners. Malt Extract typically has 6% protein, numerous free amino
acids, minerals, vitamins and is an excellent anti-oxidant. <
And here is an old ad for it:
http://maltproducts.com/pdf/pabst-malt-ad-1896.pdf
This is, apparently, the same *malt* which is used to make malted milk in
the USA, and also in artisan breads.

Thanks for the memories!

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC
Breastfeeding Matters in the Capital Region
www.NormaRitter.com
Join us on Facebook for the latest birthing and breastfeeding news and
views:
http://tinyurl.com/BMCRonFB