From:
Fay Bosman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2012 13:10:22 -0400
This is terrible, imo.

I frequently refer moms to this site. Now the big, bold heading announces: "This Page Contains Explicit Imagery  This page contains explicit pictures and/or video that is intended for educational purposes only.  To access the restricted content on this page, please register your email address."

Not only do I generally avoid anything with cautionins about 'explicit imagery,' but I am reluctant to register my email address all over the place too.

It does go against our efforts to 'normalize' breastfeeding. I realize that some of what is portrayed isn't actually 'breastfeeding', it's massage and manual expression and more (which would probably normally be done in private). But still! This caution makes the process seem almost pornographic! It is also not going to stop weirdos from entering, but it might prevent a nervous mom from watching.

I have emailed Janelle Aby, MD, Medical Director at LPCH Newborn Nursery at Stanford explaining my concerns. I forwarded a copy of that email to Dr Jane Morton too (drjane at burgesspediatrics dot com).

I think it would help greatly if more of you would write and express your concerns too. Here is Dr Aby's contact information:

Janelle Aby , MD
Medical Director
Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital  Newborn Nursery at Stanford
Division of General Pediatrics
770 Welch Road, Suite 100, Palo Alto, CA 94304    USA
www.lpch.org
tel. 650-725-8314

Best regards,
Fay