From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:02:45 EDT
Dear Katherine and others,
Your pedi gastro friend has an interesting theory there, does he have any
"paper" to back this up? Not that I have any reason to doubt him, just that I
am very interested in GER and breast feeding and am puzzled by the lack of
consesnsus/ knowledge re; diagnosis and treatment in the medical community.
 This was supported further after attending the lecture at ILCA this yr.
A few hints to take away were; Reglan is not really used and doesn't work,
neither does thickening fds with rice cereal. The positioning info shared by
someone else was great- I would just emphasize being careful not to use an
infant seat that sits the baby too straight as this can  put too much
pressure on the stomach and aggravate rather than abate the reflux. I often
suggest that Moms bring the stroller into the house, the better ones have
multiple positions and the baby can be easily nested on his side, at an angle
and rocked til asleep- one more tool in the arsenal!!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts