From:
Sandy M Hankin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 08:25:02 +0000
This made me think of a weird thing that happened to me a few months ago.
I had recently had a mastectomy and was sitting next to a woman during
our chemotherapy session who was having her chemo done *prior* to her
surgery. She expressed extreme apprehension about the surgery. Having
been in a similar state of mind prior to my own surgery and remembering
how much I wanted to find a picture of a modified radical mast. (without
removal of the chest wall muscles), I offered to show her my scar. She
really wanted to see it but we were both "hooked up" and couldn't go to a
private place and there were some men around also having chemo. But we
both agreed that it was important enough and I lifted up my shirt and
showed her my scar. Then afterward I had to laugh because I was showing
her the *absence* of a breast- and it still felt taboo.  I wonder if I
end up with a double mastectomy, if I would ever reach the point of going
topless? Or perhaps I should consider a designer "cut away" swim suit for
this season?

Sandy Hankin
Whose daughter's initial comment upon seeing a Barbie for the first time
was, "WHERE ARE HER NIPPLES???"