From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 23:18:48 -0600
I just have to add my comments on the bathing babies issue.  My last
baby was born at home with a certified midwife.  After a calm, easy
birth, Andrew nursed for about 30 minutes, giving the midwife just
enough time to prepare an herbal bath which included sea salt, uva ursi,
comfrey, shepherd's purse, and fresh garlic.  No soap!

The herbal bath was fairly warm and ooohhh so comforting!  The herbal
bath was prepared and strained using garlic and sea salt, to make the
bath solution aseptic. Uva ursi is a specific herb for healing a woman's
reproductive organs and comfrey contains alantoin, a cell proliferant,
which causes the edges fo wounds to grow together.  Shepherd's purse is
excellent for preventing and controlling excessive bleeding.

Both Andrew and I stayed in the tub for about 30 minutes.  He unfolded,
stretched and floated in the lovely, warm weightlessness of the water.
Our very favorite pictures/videos are during this very precious time as
our baby smiled his first smile.

After the bath, we both climbed back into bed and nursed again. (He
gained 1.5 lbs during his first week of life!) Our house had a wonderful
aroma and when both grandma's came over to visit, they picked out bits
of herbs from Andrew's hair and ears!  They thought I was crazy, but our
herbal bath is still my my favorite memory.  My mother-in-law commented
on the fact that in *her* days of childbirth, mothers and babies were
wrapped up for 40 days and neither were allowed to bathe!

Heidi S. Roibal
Albuquerque, NM where I still bathe with my baby and herbs