Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 23:24:31 +0000
>live here, and formula feeds.  It talks about C--na---n G--d St---t formula
>being gentler on the newborn digestive system because it contains only 100%
>whey protien, "the primary protien in breastmilk".

The primary protein in breastmilk most certainly isn't bovine "whey"
protein. It might be vaguely similar, and more like human milk proteins
than the other main protein in cow's milk (caseine) but it is nowhere
near equivalent and a very common allergen.

>It says "Because of the
>Whey protein"  it will not cause the "tough curds formed by cow's milk casein
>and will digest more like breastmilk in babys tummy."

ie Caseine, which is well known to be pretty indigestible.

> They also claim that
>because of this, baby is less likely to show symptoms of intolerance than
>when fed other regular formulas.

Intolerance, possibly (it *is* easier to digest), but if the implication
is that it will cause less *allergy*, that is false.

>We have some Drs here telling moms to feed their babies this stuff over other
>formulas because it is gentler on babys tummy and easier for them to digest.
> Are they just buying into the advertising, or what?

It is marginally easier to digest, but is as much like breastmilk as
soda is to champagne. I believe there are also other problems with whey-
based formulas, as compared to caseine-based formulas, but I am not 100%
sure what they are. I know they tend to be needed in larger quantities
and babies tend to need feeding more often. This might not be a bad
thing for the baby, ofcourse.

Whey is still dairy, and has the same potential to sensitize a baby to
dairy allergy as any other protein in cow's milk. I think the
advertising is misleading. Why doesn't that surprise me? :-(
--
Anna (mummy to Emma, born 17th Jan 1995 and Alice, born 11th Sept 1996)
Email: [log in to unmask]  Web Page: http://www.ratbag.demon.co.uk/anna