From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 17:21:45 +0100
Below is the abstract on MIDIRS website of the article I co-authored with
Sam Oddie.  As Heather says, IT IS NOT ABOUT TEST WEIGHING.   It is about
trying to establish what we know about normal baby weight loss and regain,
and how we approach using weighing in our assessment of babies, especially
when we hope to support breastfeeding.  We both practice in the UK, so it is
coloured by that.  We also sought to put into place the paediatric focus on
HND in breastfed babies.

Breastfeeding - weighing in the balance: reappraising the role of weighing
babies in the early days - MIDIRS Midwifery Digest , vol 12, no 3, September
2002, pp 296-300 Sachs M, Oddie S - (September 2002) Recently a number of
articles have appeared in paediatric publications concerning breastfeeding
and the incidence of hypernatraemic dehydration. Sadly, a MEDLINE search on
breastfeeding will reveal that some paediatricians are preoccupied with
disastrous failures of breastfeeding. In this review we (a breastfeeding
supporter and a paediatrician) aim to consider this literature and discuss
how midwives might want to respond by re-focusing on what is normal in the
early stages of breastfeeding and how best to support its initiation. (51