From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 15:20:23 EST
having just been in one last week (oy), i cannot resist adding my personal
story about this. with my second son's birth, i determined that the way to
avoid problems was to never let him go to the nursery unaccompanied. i made
this very clear to my spouse and mother, who took turns staying (i had a C/S),
and they jumped up and went to the nursery whenever a nurse came to take him
for "tests." it only took one day for them to give up on taking him there, and
to do the weighing etc. in the room. they hardly did a thing, as a matter of
fact, except kid me about "don't you want to sleep?" etc. of course the
hospital bill still included nearly a thousand dollars worth of "nursery"
charges; i guess they were standing by just in case.

of course by number three i figured out that avoiding the hospital altogether
was the ideal solution. but why is it that this is still "normal" at least
here in the usa? at last week's hospital experience, they said they "had" to
put the baby under the warmer, and i asked if they did kangaroo care and could
the mother do that instead? the doctor and nurse replied "yes, we do kangaroo
care, but he HAS to be under the warmer first, of course!"

how i love a logical interpretation of new procedures.

carol brussel IBCLC