Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:14:36 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Dear Rachel-
From what you described about this baby, I would have done exactly what you did suggest.
In my experience, I find that these over active letdown, or fast flow babies cause tons of trouble.  What usually happens is that the mothers push off calling anyone till they are about 2-3 months old, because after all, the baby is just not settled during BF but is gaining weight, so they don't feel they can really "justify" a consult.
Then at some point, it gets so bad they can't really function.  Baby is fussy and miserable all the time and so is the mom.  I find them to be a mess to correct.
The sore nipples sound like the baby compressing the nipple when something happens with the flow.  I have seen this done either to prevent the fast flow, or to try to get it back, because they don't really know how to actually pull out the milk.  They are used to a free ride.  What I unfortunately see, is when we help the baby with the fast flow, or too much milk etc, they hate that also, and then are not settled because they ARE NOT getting choked with milk.
I find these babies many times love their pacifier, because it is the only calm place they know.
Tons of skin to skin, calm soothing behavior-  Cosleeping or co bathing...
 I would be very curious to hear how this pans out-  I find these the hardest cases because you have to deal with the babies feeding stress and psychological issues of feeding for the past 2 months etc- and it is sometimes so hard to reprogram.  Anyone else find these babies to be in general overly tense?  Or maybe that is just a result of tense breastfeeding for 2 months...
Just a few thought,
Jessica Billowitz, IBCLC
Israel

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2