From:
Terriann Shell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:38:54 EDT
"Jane A. Bradshaw"  writes:
 <<  If the baby was HIV positive, I would recommend against direct
feeding at
<< the breast, for fear of infecting the mother.   >

Jane,
I think you are right on with your recommendation.  I have a tape someone
gave me that was a program from one of the health TV stations that
followed the early spread of HIV in Russia.

In it they discovered that there was a transmission route from
breastfeeding baby to mother.  Because:
*   HIV often causes (chronic) thrush in babies and
*  thrush's white patches can peel off and bleed and
*  thrush can be passed from baby to mother causing mother's nipples to
sometimes crack
= HIV can be passed.   This can be considered a blood passing, not a
saliva passing of HIV.

This was a very interesting program.

Terriann Shell
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]