Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:03:13 -0400
I have given a lot of thought to the discussion about SOP on Lactnet.
There are some things here that confound me. First, how is it that we
are assuming the IBLCE is the legitimate body to write a SOP? Secondly,
why would we assume we are bound to abide by it? I did not choose to
become an IBCLC under any such absurd guidelines. There are so many
legal and ethical nightmares in this whole thing that we seem to be
ignoring. No human being, in any profession, should ever be expected to
act without personal integrity. I do not believe a single one of us
could maintain any modicum of integrity if we abided by the IBLCE SOP
as written.

  For another thing, we have bought into the idea of “evidence-based”
practice, which is really quite a joke, since no OB I know of in my
community practices this way, nor do most peds, since it would have to
be a violation of such practice to act in any way that undermines
breastfeeding. We are basing our discussions on a false
premise—behaving as if the medical model MUST surely be the compass by
which we gently tweak the SOP—I consider that an invalid premise.

  I wanted to address the issues raised about the right of IBCLCs to
contradict HCPs.

Pam wrote:
  “However, unless they change the scope of practice to be more relative
to real IBCLC work, I do not see the point of working toward licensure.
If IBLCE cannot put together a realistic scope of practice, I do not
see the value in licensure. The real possibility however is that each
state in the US with a licensure body would create a SOP even more
restrictive and then the credential stays as it is...restriction of
proper care to mothers and babies and protecting the hcp who gives
improper information at the expense of breastfeeding. When a mom can go
online and find article after article that supports what we are saying
to her, who are we to deny her access to the information? What is the
hcp going to do? Forbid the mother to read? “

  Umm…this is what has happened to midwives in the US. State licensure
is a double-edge sword and I do not support it at all. In almost all
cases, the medical establishment has the political clout (and the will)
to render any practitioner who might “contradict” them impotent.

  Pam: “The only thing I can come up with is that in a hospital setting,
a nurse is not allowed to contradict an order. It doesn't matter what
the order is, she follows it. Yes, yes, it is not true, she is supposed
to refuse, but realistically that is not the work world and she will be
unemployed or whatever if she doesn't go along with the status quo. So,
along comes the private practice non nurse IBCLC who can indeed share
the correct information with the mom and now the mom is questioning her
health care provider. "

  I know that RNs on this list think we in private practice are ignorant
as to the reality of their interactions with doctors, but that is not
entirely true. I know for a fact that some nurses are huge advocates
for their patients and go to great lengths to educate the patient as
well as the HCP. I know some babies have much better births and
breastfeeding outcomes for that reason. I know some hospitals are less
hostile to mothers and babies for that reason.

  OTOH, I have worked in hospital and have seen the restrictions that
both RNs and IBCLCs have to contend with.

  Pam: “I do not see how it would be possible to be an IBCLC and not
contradict a doctor unless you live in breastfeeding utopia and I would
so love to live there, but I do not. I live in the USA where money
rules and very few get that breastfeeding is the normal and needs to be
protected. In my area formula is given routinely as a cure for
everything. “

  Yes, AIM is treated like medicine rather than the very risky medical
intervention it is.

  Pam: “The Scope needs to fit the reality of practice or it's only
usefulness is to stop private practice non medical licensed IBCLCs. I
still think that is their ultimate goal. "

So do I.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC
from AOL at AOL.com.