From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:53:31 +0000
I visited Lactnet briefly this morning and saw that Robin Epstein wrote: "My gut tells me that the doctor is mistaken on this one, but I haven't managed to turn up data which directly answers her question about breastfeeding's affect on perimenopause. The only discussions I found were on PERIMENOPAUSE's affect on BREASTFEEDING (i.e. if a mother in perimenopause gets pregnant, how will this affect her lactation). This would lead me to believe that extended breastfeeding does not effect perimenopause and that the hormonal shifts encountered in perimenopause, specifically the drop in estrogen, should not negatively impact supply."

I recently answered a perimenopause-related question for Mothering magazine. While the question I answered addressed the affect of perimenopause and menopause on breastfeeding, my literature search and inquiries to knowledgeable and reputable colleagues revealed *absolutely no information* on the effect of breastfeeding on perimenopause or menopause. So, if this physician has any references, I would very much like to know what they are. The question and my answer (with references) can be read online from the breastfeeding section of the publication page of my website, Ammawell (http://home.comcast.net/~ammawell), or from my section of the Expert Panel of Mothering magazine's website (http://mothering.com/sections/experts/mojab-archive.html#menopause).

I'm still nomail, so any replies must be sent to [log in to unmask] if I am to read them.

Hoping something here is useful,

Cynthia

--
Cynthia Good Mojab, MS clinical psychology, IBCLC, RLC, CATSM
Ammawell