From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 17:32:13 +0100
Some of us got to talking about Peter Hartmann's work, and wondered how the
idea of milk made during a nursing fits into it.  Is it true that milk is
synthesized during a nursing, or does it simply move out of the alveoli
during a nursing?  If milk is actually made during a nursing, then
comparing volume of the breast before and after wouldn't give a fully
accurate picture of volume consumed.

Maybe I should ask if the *rate* of milk synthesis increases during a
nursing.  I've always envisioned (and described) milk being consumed that
wasn't present in the breast at the start of the feed.  Yes?  No?  Unknown?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA