From:
Wendy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:17:49 EST
I agree with Frank that generally the delivery of the drug should be the same
regardless of the make of tablet. there are a few exceptions when brands
should not be changed to maintain stability of release eg anti-epileptic
medication. We are all individuals and there can be the odd response but these
are, in my experience fairly rare, tho this may not feel OK if you are the
rare case.

With regard to children not wanting to take a different flavour, I've had 2
children brought in recently refusing to take their antibiotic because it
wasnt the nice banana one - amoxycillin - because the doctor felt they needed
a different antibiotic. As a mother as well as a pharmacist this worried me.
Not wanting to take a different paracetamol syrup is one thing but .....

What do you, as mothers feel? Would you let a child refuse its medication
under these circumstances?

Wendy Jones
Breastfeeding Network UK Supporter and Pharmacist