From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:22:27 -0800
 Pat:  Have you heard of using a preventive technique for sinus infections
called sinus irrigation?  I used to have horrible problems with allergic
rhinitis, which would set up the perfect environ for bacterial sinusitis.
After seeing an ENT for sinus surgery, he had me using saline sinus
irrigation (with something akin to a large enema bulb) on a daily basis.
This was 10 years ago, but now I'm seeing more and more on this being the
best preventive for sinus infections.  It can also be used to treat
infections with tea tree oil and/or garlic oil added to the saline
solution.  One needs to squirt enough saline up one nostril to get it to
come down the other side and vice versa.  No, it's not something you'd do
on a first date, but it works.  For anyone wanting to avoid antibiotic
use--bf moms included--I strongly recommend this.  If the enema bulb
technique is too harsh, one can try a sports water bottle, or a product
called the Nette pot (Chinaberry books carries this).  There is even an
attachment to Waterpik machines for this purpose.
Chris

 Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC   email: [log in to unmask]
                HSR & Health Educational Consultant