From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 18:32:37 +0300
Hello all!

I am seeking information about a medicine called Accolate (tsafirlukast or
zafirlucast?). It is one of the new leucotrien antagonists.

I have been corresponding with a mother of a 6 week old baby. She has a
very severe case of asthma. Her condition got worse during the pregnancy
and she delivered a baby with a theofyllamine-infusion and a heavy asthma
medication. Her condition have not got any better during these weeks post
delivery and now she has an respiratory infection and her asthma got worse.
She needs Accolate desperately. Breastfeeding is very important to her
because this is probably her last baby (MDs do not recommend any more
pregnancies to her). She did not breastfeed her older children very long
and now breastfeeding works better.  The Accolate seems to be the only
thing left to help her but it might theoritically cause a risk of liver
or/and bladder cancer to the nursing baby. The mothers medication is:
Medrol 32mg p.o., Serevent inhalation aerosol 1x 2, Pulmicort inhalation
aeorosol 600 ugx2, Atrodual x4 and Amorion for the infection. Before this
pregnancy her asthma was easier to manage. The baby has a cortisone
replacement therapy on her own.

I and the mother are very grateful about any information about
breastfeeding and Accolate. I tried the archives but they did not operate
well this time and I do not have my own copy of Tom Hale yet.

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Pia Ruohotie, RN, breastfeeding trainer educator, breastfeeding counsellor
from Finland, Scandinavia, Europe