From:
Sanna-Mari T <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:44:54 +0200
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>:

# A Finnish mother that I worked with about her 3rd  baby told me that
in Finland, mothers stay in hospital until breastfeeding is
established. #

Oih, I am afraid that isn't true. Back in the 60's and 70's moms
stayed 7 - 10 days in the hospital, but nowadays most mothers are
discharged on day 2 or 3, some on day 4 (for instance if mother is
very unwell). This is due to financial reasons, of course, hospitals'
balances look better when moms circulate in and out faster instead of
lying in beds for days.

What is different (compared to US), I think, is that if a baby is kept
hospitalized longer than usual, e.g. due to infection, meconium
aspiration or bili lights, moms are often allowed to stay
hospitalized, too, (ie not d/cged) until the baby is discharged.

Another difference is, I think, that premies are kept hospitalized
until the original due date (or very close), ie 35-36-37 weekers are
not discharged until they have "grown" enough and are close to 40
weeks. Even those babies who were just born too early, but are
otherwise well, are kept in hospital until the dd (or very close).

Sanna-Mari
bf support group leader / Imetyksen tuki ry
Finland, Scandinavia