From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 17:10:30 -0400
Dear Linda,

All programs that "certify" with the exception of IBLCE are merely program
completion certificates.  They are not complying with the Nat'l Commision of
Certifying Agencies as is IBLCE, and there is no mechanism for assuring
continuing education, recertification, and follow-up of inappropriate
practitioners.  Any educational program can give out a certificate of
completion and tell their attendees they are "certified," but all it means is
that the person has completed that particular program -- it does, however,
confuse the public.

For example, I am an RN.  Although it was dreadfully important to me at the
time where I went to school and got my nursing education, the fact that I
graduated didn't really mean much of anything until I sat for the board
exams, passed them, and became a licensed, registered nurse.  I may not know
where someone received their education, but I do know that we both passed the
same exam, which means that we both had whatever it takes to qualify to take
that exam, as well as pass it.  In lactation, the IBLCE is the "leveler" if
you will.

Hope this helps..

Jan B.