From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:45:12 -0800
Not being an RN, I would like to know other physiological reasons for
newborn hypoglycemia.

I just read LLL's   http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug97p107.html

Seems hospital birth where the mother is not permitted to eat or drink
during her labor or during a long labor, having a glucose IV, etc.  Does
cutting the umbilical cord too soon have an impact on the infant?
Incidentally, my RD told me years ago that due to my hypoglycemia, I should
always have Ringers Lactate rather than a glucose IV.  Glucose would trigger
insulin to just push my blood sugar lower.

Judy Ritchie

Do other hospitals have such protocols for hypoglycemia?  Yes, our protocol
is to test small or large babies, early babies, babies of mom's with
diabetes.  Babies who have not eaten well or any baby who is jittery. If the
level is below 46 they are given an ounce of formula.  This is true even if
the mom can breastfeed, even if she has a lot of colostrum, even if the baby
is asymptomatic.