From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:02:13 EDT
Dear Kathleen,

I, too, am frustrated with all the "get to sleep" information that abounds in
our society.  Just this week in my breastfeeding class when passing around
magazine ads I've collected that show how our society is a bottle feeding one, a
mom asked me why I included the "Baby Whisperer."  I told her that this is an
example of scheduling, anti-baby, interferring with breastfeeding's natural
flow--she got it.

What irks me to no end about these "sleep solutions" is the very telling use
of the words, "put down."  I quote from your post how often this phrase is
used and follow with a dictionary search I did online.  Is this really what is
meant by putting the baby down? (TIC and LOL)   It so goes against the grain of
baby's needs and the very humaneness of caring/loving a child...

"deciding when to put him down "
"or put him down two hours after he last woke up. "
"You can start by putting your baby to bed"
"If you wait too long to put your baby down"

Definition:
[n]  (informal) a crushing remark
[v]  leave or unload, esp. of passengers or cargo
[v]  cause to sit or seat or be in a settled position or place; "set down
your bags here"
[v]  put in a horizontal position; "lay the books on the table"
[v]  reduce in worth, character, etc; disgrace; dishonor
[v]  cause to come to the ground; of aircraft

And my own final definition of "put down" which often comes to mind...they
put the horse down, because it broke it's leg"

I know it's not meant to be so cruel, but what about baby's perception of
separation?

Barbara Latterner,  RN, IBCLC, RLC