From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 18:18:22 -0500
Denise:  Of course, I agree with Dr. Jack that the high sodium reflects
weaning.  We may never know why these babies died, but there is no reason
to assume this would happen to this mother.  My mother breastfed me for 3
months, then her milk "dried up" (you can imagine the reasons).  She kept
predicting that the same would happen to me, and was just amazed when my
milk just miraculously kept coming.  This mother would do better with the
help of a good LC ensuring frequent nursing with good latch-on and
positioning and helping her to monitor baby's intake, than with someone
measuring the sodium content of her milk.  Hope this helps, Dr. Alicia,
who likes this trend in Dr. Firstname, and hopes she's worthy  ;)