From:
Honeybr000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 22:02:58 EST
I have a question for all the wise lactnuts....  I work in a level 3 NICU.  We
presently have a 25week preterm baby and Mother is pumping breastmilk and
freezing for this baby.  Mom has symptoms of yeast, severely cracked and
bleeding nipples, shooting, deep breast pain, etc.  The baby is NPO and
remains on ventilator.  Is it safe to keep this milk?  The Neonatologist is
concerned about yeast contamination of the milk and the possibility of the
baby acquiring a yeast infection.  Fungal sepsis is often fatal in these small
babies.  The baby is 3 weeks old and Mom has many bottles of this "liquid
gold".
Thanks for your help!
Debby Menders RNC
Women & Children's Hospital