Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:12:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I wanted to share some well deserved good news!(for once-ha!)  Last night, Renee Hefti RN and senior LC in Vancouver, was given the College of Registered Nurses of B.C.(Canada) Award of Excellency for Advocacy work (in breastfeeding).  It was a grand affair attended by 500 guests and government officials.

It is so nice when someone is recognized for their tireless efforts.  You may be familiar with Renee from her current work on the Stop Newark/Nestle Now campaign in which she has been an invaluable asset.

When I heard about the award, I was curious as to what Renee has accomplished in B.C. to deserve this award, well, this is what I found out - incredible!  Renee Hefti : 
Got rid of the hospital gift packs, stopped formula reps from coming onto maternity wards, stopped hospitals from accepting free formula and large sums of money for exclusive contracts, worked to make local and international conferences in the province Baby Friendly (no formula company sponsorship), stopped formula companies from "wine and dine (and "educate" health professionals, started and ran a boycott (7 years) of largest drug store chain in province, got organizations across Canada to endorse the Code and Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative,  taught health professional and prenatal breastfeeding courses. Internationally, worked at WABA, did a needs assessment for WHO in the UAE and returned, on the request of  Ministry of Health, to (successfully) prepare a UAE Hospital, (4,000 del. / year) for BFHI accreditation.  
All I can say is "WOW!"   And Renee did all this while maintaining a busy private practice!

British Columbia has a 97.3% breastfeeding initiation rate (2009).  No up-to-date stats about duration rate. But when asked about her private practice Renee reported of the 600 women she counseled last year, only 2 or 3 stopped breastfeeding, 1 had insuffient milk (but kept breastfeeding) most women started solids at 6 months and most breastfeed for a year and some longer.  She said," I see a special group of very motivated, mostly midwifery clients.  Still lots of work to do in the province - women want to breastfeed but not enough knowledgeable people to help." 

Congratulations Renee and thank you for advocating on behalf of mothers and babies everywhere!

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Chatham, NJ 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2