From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:48:10 -0600
Just a little personal experience.  I have been on quite a number of
NSAIDs for arthritis, etc.  I found that any time I had a complaint
(usually, upset stomach), the doctor switched me to another one--always
started me with samples.  It is my observation that doctors had out
whatever the last drug rep handed them, and it is my understanding that
the "detail person" (someone from the drug company who walks into the
office while you are waiting for your appointment and comes out before
you get in) is the main source of information for most docs on
medications.  I always know when a drug rep has made rounds (what kind
is this Gail?) on the docs in a building near the hospital that the
antibiotic of the month (joke) changes.

All this to say, after while I decided that the only way I could get by
the GI side effects of Daypro was to eat with the drug and again two
hours later.  I finally decided that maybe I should just go back to
ibuprofen.  I did, and it has helped just as much as Relafen, Daypro, or
the others and with less side effects.  Since you take more pills, it
was easier to gradually cut down the dosage, too.

I know not everyone reacts the same to every drug.  However, I think it
is worth giving ibuprofen a try rather than feeling that the drug the
doctor ordered is necessarily the best.  Doctors and pharmacists, please
feel free to correct me if I have misrepresented the facts.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC