From:
"Julie S. Brill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 09:01:48 -0500
We just purchased a new mattress and it came with this tag.

CHILD SAFETY WARNINGS
-Never leave an infant on an adult size mattress. Infants can suffocate if
trapped between the mattress and the wall, bed frame, footboard, or headboard.
-Never sleep in the same bed as an infant. The infant can become wedged
between your body and the mattress and suffocate.
-Place infant in crib meeting current safety standards and use a mattress
that fits tightly.

I thought this was just a clever marketing gimic by the mattress people to
sell crib mattresses. But then I saw that it is a "safety message from the
American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Home Furnishings Association."

Does anyone know if this is really an AAP message? I'd never heard that before!
Sigh, this just makes me so sad. Welcome to world, now we're going to isolate
you . . . I wish we could send the AAP scrambling for statistics on this one.
I'm sure they don't have any!

In frustration,
Julie Brill