From:
Katherine Catone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 05:32:42 -0700
The reminder of the hurricaine and mothers stocking up on formula brought
back various memories for me - one tends to think about lack of
safe  water, etc as only happening in 3rd world countries but emergencies
 - weather or otherwise can happen to anyone anywhere.

18 years of being a miltary wife convinced me of this -

I'm originally from California  - earthquakes happen with no warning
essentially - and if it's  a 'big one' transportation, energy and water
are concerns - shopping is also a problem.

When we were in North Texas tornados were a problem

Guam - typhoons, etc are a problem and they recommend that mothers keep
formula and baby supplies on hand.  20 odd years ago after Pamela, the
hospitals were sending all babies home breastfeeding because supplies of
formula and clean water were non-existent.  I knew of one breastfeeding
mother whose 2 year old went back to total breastfeeding for a period of
time because this mother and her family had just arrived prior to the
typhoon and they didn't know what they were eating or drinking from day
to day.

When we were in Germany during the last half of the 80's terrorism was a
problem- frequently restricting movement, sometimes shutting down our
American base

I knew a gal who was part of the getting non-Iranian moms and children
out with little notice and no supplies, there were very real concerns for
the mothers with formula feeding babies

You just never know what may happen to you.
We are usually not prepared for emergencies, it is nice to know that our
babies have everything they need if Mom is available.
I am sure we could get quite a slew of these kinds of stories from
Lactnuts who have BTDT (been there, done that).

Katherine Catone, LLLL, IBCLC