From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:05:36 EST
I am in El Paso, Texas and there is a Baby-Friendly hospital just  across the
border in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.  A fairly reliable source has  told me (and
others) that this hospital does not provide formula for babies;  families must
bring their own if they don't intend to breastfeed.  Of  course this raises
the question of what happens to those babies whose mother  intended to but
cannot (i.e. medical event, sickness, etc) or babies in ICU  whose mother's are
not pumping a full supply etc.  We are attempting to  arrange a tour of this
hospital to see first hand what the answers are to these  questions. I'll let you
know!
In the mean time, I think that the issues that have been discussed
previously on this list (i.e. informed consent paperwork for formula use,  physician
notification/orders if formula is to be used as a supplement etc.) are  all
moving in the direction that Gerry speaks of where ABM is the exception  rather
than the rule.
When the INSURANCE companies see the light on paying for the formula and  the
increased medical costs associated then we will really see a change.  I  keep
saying this and one of these days I will get on my bandwagon with the
insurance companies, we need a Baby-Friendly Insurance Initiative so that the
hospitals are told what their policies must be for the insurance companies to
approve that facility and/or provider for their members (is that the correct
word?).
Keep up the good fight ladies!  One HCP, store manager, newspaper  editor,
news anchor, mother, father and baby at a time we will make our way up  this
very steep mountain.
Christine Pillado
El Paso, Texas...where my friend was told to supplement her 24 hour  old with
formula b/c of low blood sugar but was told she couldn't get  a pump to
supplement with colostrum because that was like ordering medicine she  didn't
need...AHHHHHHH

Gerry Welch <[log in to unmask]>
I see your logic. Formula is  currently billed as you say. My point is maybe
it shouldn't be. I'm seeing  formula as medicine not food. A hospital may be
reluctant to give up their  status quo. They get formula very cheap in return
for us using so much. If  they went baby friendly the price the hospital pays
for the formula would go  up. A hospital is not in the business to lose
money. My way saves the  hospital money and encourages breastfeeding. A
hospital wouldn't mind you  bringing in your own food if you ate a special
food. I wish formula could be  seen as an unusual occurance in the hospital
setting.
Make  sense?