From:
Kathy Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:00:00 -0800
I work part-time as a LC in a hospital and received a
phone call yesterday from a client I would like to
post about. She is 30,G5P5 and delivered a male
infant, vaginally, on 6/9/03. He weighed 8-8.9 3882 at
birth and 8-1 3660 on discharge, 6/11. If I remember
correctly, this woman had not breastfed her first
child any. She nursed her second for a "few months
until a blood vessel in her breast broke" and her last
two for a year plus. She called our office when the
infant had gone from weighing 10-4 at a 2 mos. check
to 10-0 at 3 mos., on 9/9. She did not come for an
outpatient visit until 9/15 but did begin
supplementing with a supplementer at the breast and
made feeding the baby a priority. She home schools her
3 oldest and the youngest is 2 and admitted that she
was under much stress at that time. When she did come
for a visit with another nurse, on 9/15, infant
weighed 10-14.3 and gained 2.5 oz. at the breast
alone. She felt that things were much improved. She
was asked to come for another check in a few days, but
instead called, and reported that infant had weighed
12 lbs. on a scale at home on 9/19. When she called
yesterday, she stated that infant is doing well, but
mostly being formula fed and she would like "to know
what's wrong." She stated that she feels pain in her
feet/hands, "shooting pains" on both sides of her head
and "pressure" in the roof of her mouth like it's
"tightening and clenching." She has been to several
physicians and a midwife. She has a strong family
history of rheumatoid arthritis which was ruled out.
She had seen another doctor for an "irregular
heartbeat." She stated that she has had prolactin,
thyroid and FSH levels drawn, which were all normal.
She did bleed heavily after the birth of her fourth
child and received Methergine after the birth of this
last one, but I do not know if she actually bled much
this time. She resumed her menses when this infant was
2 mos. old and being "exclusively breastfed." Her
periods now are heavier than normal for her, and she
does have some dark/bright red discharge and clots. We
discussed retained placenta. She has another
appointment with her general doctor on Monday and was
asking about Sheehan's Syndrome. She is most concerned
with the feelings in her hands, head and feet and
wanting to know if there is anything that could link
those symptoms to a low milk supply. I told her that I
would post her case on Lactnet and she was most
appreciative. Thanks so much.

Kathy Wright, RN, IBCLC
Columbus, Kansas