From:
Flossie Rollhauser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:53:57 -0400
About 17 or 18 years ago my late partner and I each had a mother of
twins with one functioning breast post-mastectomy as clients.  Both were
able to breastfeed (or breastmilk feed) nearly exclusively.  One mother
chose to pump so that she could bottle-feed one baby with EBM while
nursing the other baby directly; she alternated which baby got the
breast at each feed; she breastfed them for 11 months.  The other mother
fed first one baby then the other at the breast; she alternated which
baby fed first, with occasional bottles of EBM or formula when one baby
just couldn't wait.  She moved out of the area when the twins were about
4 months old, so I do not know how long she continued breastfeeding.  I
have frequently told this story to moms who worry about supply for twins
and yet have two functioning breasts, and to the occasional mother of a
singleton with one functioning breast, just to reinforce what our bodies
are capable of.  After all, there are reports on record of women
producing all the milk for quadruplets, and that means two babies per
breast.

Flossie Rollhauser, IBCLC, RLC
Maryland