From:
"Robin M. Hollen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:30:31 -0400
Often we speak to mothers choosing not to breastfeed because they have tried
"everything" and it doesn't work.  I believe they truly did intend to
breastfeed, but the system failed them.  They believe they "failed".  Then
add the birth experience into the history and their belief that it didn't go
the way they"planned"; they were trying "harder" to "suceed" at
breastfeeding.  Often I have brought up the subject of grieving to such
mothers and the tears pour. They are not allowed by our culture to complain
because they "should be thrilled with a healthy baby."  So, the grieving
begins.  Sometimes just opening that window is enough, sometimes the mother
needs more validation of her inner feelings. Unfortunately, counseling isn't
available here to work through this post partum grief.  My question.  Does
anyone have any great books, things in print, tapes that would be beneficial
that you would recommend to assist these moms with the grieving process
related specifiically to birth/breastfeeding?
Thank you
Robin Hollen RN IBCLC
Reno, Nevada