From:
Ruth Fiedler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 05:07:39 +1000
Hi all

My own birthing story about this is that my 2 eldest children did not have
their cords cut till it stopped pulsating (at my request).  The births were
unmedicated and unassisted.  They did not cry at all.

For my 3rd birth I had a new Dr.  He cut the cord early though I requested
him not too.  The baby not only gave a piercing cry when the cord was cut,
also let out a second scream a few seconds later.  That cry is etched on my
heart because it was something that I did not expect.

This alone makes me feel that early cutting is not the right thing to do for
either mother or baby.  If I ever had baby 4, I would defend my right not to
have the cord clamped and would ensure that my husband and birthing support
person prevented it from happening.  I am not convinced that baby can not
feel it.  If baby can not feel the cutting, then there is something else
that I expect happens that terrorises the child, though what it is I have no
idea.  In my opinion the baby clearly experienced something tthough.  Mum's
know that crying means that the baby is experiencing some form of distress.
Science is at long last beginning to recognise that crying is only normal
when the baby  perceives that is something wrong.  I look forward to finding
out why baby cries or screams when the cord is cut.

Cheers

Ruth
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Australia