From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:15:14 -0500

<<> >After the birth of her sixth baby she had her thyroid removed. She is
currently aking synthroid, although I'm not sure of the exact dose. I can
find out f that information is helpful.>

This is my own personal issue about Synthroid... The thyroid gland is
stimulated by TSH, and converts T4 into T3. Synthroid is just T4. If you
have a non-functioning thyroid gland (or no thyroid gland at all) how can we
expect it to take T4 and convert it to T3?

I am not sold on Synthroid (which has a tremendous advertising platform, and
has done wonders to corner the market and cast suspicion and doubt on other
thyroid medications...), and felt lousy on it. When I switched to a
different medication which was 1:4 T3:T4 (which is how the hormone balance
in the body is supposed to be), I felt better, and my body functioned much
better. This medication comes as Armour Thyroid USP (porcine) or Thyrolar
USP (synthetic).

From this website
<<http://classes.ansci.uiuc.edu/ansc438/Lactation/adrenalthyroid.html>>

"So, in early lactation in the cow the excessive local conversion of T4 to
T3 in the mammary gland may be reducing blood levels of T4. In addition,
administration of T3 to the cow bypasses the T4-T3 conversion at the mammary
level and provides greater T3 to the gland resulting in enhanced milk
yield."

So, perhaps, while she has a decent level of T4, she may be lacking in T3.
This, of course, was only one website, but it does beg further thoughts!

Best wishes,
Sam Doak