From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:09:23 +1000
Hi Gonneke,
     Deliberate exposure to direct sunlight is something that anyone working with mothers and babies in Australia should not even consider, even in the south, because of our high incidence of skin cancers resulting from cumulative sun-exposure.  The hole in the ozone layer doesn't help.  Indirect sunlight is considered adequate here, as is the amount of sunlight a baby receives in just being taken from the house to the car or the carpark to the shops, etc.  A recent Australian paper found that too many health professionals were still ignoring the above issues and recommending "sun baths" for their babies to newly delivered Mums - even in the Tropics!  I don't have the paper in front of me, but can check and supply the reference if you contact me privately.
     The very small minority of Australia families where the mother and baby are completely covered for religious reasons, and seldom go outdoors, would obviously need individual advice on the vit D issue.  For others living in Australia, it is important to limit sun exposure on sensitive baby skins.  The same applies to "sunning" nipples - in Australia, air them, yes, sun them, no.
                  Virginia
                  In Brisbane, Queensland,
                  Australia