From:
Kirsten Husband <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:42:34 -0500
Hello you wonderful and wise women--
Today I received a call from a mom who is nursing an eight month old girl.
She is complaining of a "sore breast" with a "scabby" nipple. The pain is
bothersome enough that she is frequently taking Tylenol.
A month ago she had a warm and red area on that breast, thought it was the
start of mastitis , and took antibiotics for ( only) four days. The red
area disappeared and she stopped the antibiotics. ( I was unaware of this
situation at the time).
The pain has continued and she can feel some "lumpy" areas. She describes
the pain as "inside the breast" and "burning", especially at latch-on. She
has not noticed any signs of thrush in the baby, and does not think that
the scabs are eczemza or psoriasis.
Our converstaion was cut short by a hungry baby :-)
She will be coming in to see me tomorrow. Does anyone have any sugestions
for further questioning or examination?
Thanks!
Kirsten