From:
Susan Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:46:38 -0700
I have been searching archives for a few hours now and have yet to come accross anything addressing this so hopefully this is all alright.  I work with a web based community (4K members and counting) that takes pride in attempting to be WHO compliant.  The advertisements they allow on site have nothing to do with formula or bottles or any of the like.  The push for breastfeeding being normal in all things.  Recently I was contacted by the message board manager regarding the "formula feeding support board" she wants to get rid of it or at the least rename it.  In our discussions I pointed out that yes these mothers will need support.  Of course...their babies will tend to have more medical issues than ours.  But in attempting to be WHO compliant she wants it disbanned or renamed to something more appropriate and is implementing the rules for no discussion of particular name brands and the like.  This has sparked a discussion among the volunteer hosts who wonder #1 why do we NEED to be
 WHO compliant (I said b/c she is the boss so deal with it but alas that can't be our answer in everything).  What is the purpose and even deeper still on her discussion of breastfeeding being normal she does not want anything indicating formula as being "normal" and "fine" and "good" on site.  So my recent homework assignment from the boss that would kick out all bottle (oh don't we love her?) is to find studies stating that normalizing formula inhibits initiation of breastfeeding.  I know it's discussed.  I've even discussed it.  It seems like such a no brainer.  Yet I am searching, and hunting and can not find a single study.  We need this to present to those on site who would argue for the sake of arguing and would blatantly yell "breastfeeding Nazi!" to the world.  I need factual information with as little subjectiveness as possible.  That I can find.  However, stick me in that debate and I may blow a gasket over the ignorance.    So are there any studies out there showing the
 normalization of formula has a detrimental effect on breastfeeding initiation rates?  I'm sure the companies have it.  However, I don't know if they would give it to me.

Thanks in advance,

Susan Smallwood BF Counselor in PA