From:
Debra Madonna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:26:11 -0500
Dear LACTNET,

We've written to you about ICEA's New Parent Magazine and Transitions to
Parenthood video series.  Many of you have contacted us and ICEA's Central
Office and ICEA's president and president-elect.  We'd like to see that
your letters and calls changed the fact that ICEA is sending out these
products.  Unfortunately we can't say that.

A second batch has gone out and there are now advertisements for the
magazines and videos in the December Journal.  And the responses that
members have received have not only been unsatisfactory, but untrue.

For the record the president presented us with a very complicated problem
last spring:  a finished magazine that was at my doorstep within two weeks
of the board agreeing to letting one mailing go out.  The videos went out
without being seen by the entire board.  For the record.  5 of the 7 voting
board members strongly strongly strongly objected to these products because
they violated both ICEA guidelines and philosophy, as well as the WHO
code..  A deeper problem exists because of how the board is making
decisions and keeping secrets.  We have had many people tell us that there
emails and letters were not responded to at all or at least with
information that wasn't quite correct.

We received a letter from an ICEA member, Kim Etherington, an ICCE & DONA,
about a week ago and have had correspondence with her about this issue.
Her calls to central office were very unsatisfactory.

In light of the fact that there have been numerous complaints and calls to
the central office, president, and president elect,  by members, and
consultants over the last few months, there has been no change in the
president and persident-elects position.  They have told one of our
consultants that they will not breach the contract that SMG, (Impact
Media),  has with the vendor, Playtex.

Kim Etherington has given me permission to share her letter to the board
with you.  I think it's important.   It is evident at this point that both
ICEA members and members of our sister organization let the president and
president elect of ICEA know that this is an IMPORTANT issue.

The problem to me is quite simple.  We cannot blame SMG Marketing or
Playtex.  ICEA let them in and gave them access to our members and to the
families we serve.  It has become very apparent to me that there is a lack
of committment to the WHO code.  Otherwise this would not have happened and
we would have been working to fix this.  Playtex has invaded my hospital by
spending less that $2.50 per ICEA member.

ICEA's email address is:  [log in to unmask]

Contact the president and president-elect.  Get their committment to ending
these advertisements.  Get their committment to support the WHO code.
period.  No matter how much money they can make.  Get their promise that
this will never happen again.  Get their guarantee.  If you are a member,
you have a right to that committment.  If you are a sister organization,
you have the right to know that so that you can decide how and if you deal
with ICEA in the future.

Feel free to contact any of us with questions or comments.

Sincerely

Debra Madonna, ICEA Secretary
Barbara Kennedy, ICEA Director of Education, [log in to unmask]
Kathy Swift, ICEA Treasurer, [log in to unmask]