From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:26:06 EDT
I totally agree with Kathy Dettwyler about the fact that the Mothering
Magazine is not a research-based journal.  And, it is for that reason that I
think it can indeed meet the needs of some of the community.  I often find
myself talking too analytical for my nursing peers, and though I consciously
turn the verbage down for my clients' level of understanding, I realize that
sometimes I'm still talking in unfamiliar territory.  So, it was my intent
that I pull the appropriate articles from the magazine, verify their
legitimacy by reviewing the article and its reference list, and then post it
for potential clients only after I, as a clinical expert have validated its
relevance.  I purposefully would not, therefore, offer the magazine in its
entirety to my clients.  The thought crossed my mind that as a marketing
plot, I could subscribe to the magazine in my company's name, and provide it
at a few of the medical offices in the area.  But, I decided that I'd rather
create a binder with those articles I've pulled that demonstrate relevance
and accuracy in terms of their contents.  See, I often times need assistance
with writing articles at a reading understandability that's appropriate for
the general public.  I'm frequently astounded by what the public does not
know.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  I've just gotten accustomed to
thinking research-based and think I'm no more special than anyone else, so
everyone else thinks like me.  Then, I find myself dumbfounded when someone
asks a basic question.  I answer with total patience and actually with such
gratitude that the person was honest enough with me to ask for clarity, and I
tell them so.  Thus, these articles can help me communicate effectively after
their relevance has been evaluated by me.
Sincerely,
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services
Geneva, Il