From:
Anne Stringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:36:16 -0500
I would like to refer you here, "Nutrient needs and feeding of premature
infants", from the Canadian Paediatric  Society.
<http://www.cps.ca/english/statements/N/n95-01.htm#PRETERM-
MOTHER'S%20MILK>
Under contents, select preterm mother's milk. Statements are made and
studies are cited.  I noticed they cited Lucas, in support of statements
that infants fed their own mother's milk have lower incidence of NEC and
may have long term advantages with regard to intellectual development.

In support of statements that very preterm infants need fortification,
they cite a 1990 study which looked at growth, nutrient retention, and
metabolic response in LBW infants fed supplemented and unsupplemented
preterm human milk.

I hope this is helpful.

Anne Stringer, RN
Munson Medical Center NICU