Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:08:02 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
> Vit A and D are both toxic when too much accumulates in fatty tissues.  Infants have immature systems. I think infants will seldom need supplementation and should be evaluated on an individual basis. <

I guess that vitamin D is the *cause of the month!*
It used to be iron that was of concern - remember? My response then was like Michelle's: if the doctor is concerned that the baby is not getting enough of a particular nutrient then s/he should test for adequate levels. If more mothers were encouraged to demand this, I think that it would soon be seen that blanket supplementation is not in anyone's best interests, except the industries which promote it.

Growing up in England, I learned that *good* mothers put their babies outside in their prams to nap except in extreme weather conditions. We walked to  the shops, to school and to our friends' houses. Little boys wore shorts to school, even in the winter time, and little girls wore socks, not tights. Every moment of sunlight was treasured!

Raising my own children in the USA, I did not go to those *extremes.* I made sure that my children were dressed more appropriately for the weather, but I DID make a point of taking them out for walks at least once, and usually twice a day whenever possible. I still believe in the benefits of fresh air and sunshine :)

I would like to think that this helped them get enough vit D. Lifestyles today are so different. Babies are carried in baby buckets shrouded in blankets.  Many are left in daycare from sun up to sun down may or may not get an outdoor playtime, and this is true of elementary school children too. Urban living can mean either that it is too dangerous to play outside and/or that outdoor play/sports facilities are only accessible by public or private transport. We do not consider the needs of our children when we build :(

OK, enough of this rant! Put my crankiness down to old age :)
norma

Norma Ritter IBCLC. RLC
[log in to unmask]

--

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2