From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:07:46 -0400
Two years ago I saw the mother of a 6 week old that was still at birth
weight from poor positioning and general lack of information.  We got things
straightened out, but she was determined that her child would not suffer
further and opted for formula with token nursing.  There most likely was
nothing there that couldn't have been turned around, and I even arranged a
Walking Wounded Group in no small part so she could see other women working
on the same low supply issue and clearly winning.  Turns out the group was
the last straw for her:  these women were working *too hard* and their
babies were *suffering*!  Not worth it!  She (metaphorically) turned and
ran.

Yesterday one of the *other* women in that group from 2 years ago came by to
talk about weaning.  She'd been cutting back, but after a phone conversation
she'd lightened up, and she had come by to borrow a couple books and discuss
a book she was writing for her son about the process.  Ironically, the first
mother also called... to say she now has another child, 3 weeks old, and
things are going wonderfully, thanks to all the information she got the
first time.  This one has gained 10 oz in the past week.

It's interesting that *her* memory of it is that *I told her* she would not
be able to nurse her firstborn - that it had gone on too long and she
wouldn't be able to turn it around.  I let it go; it's a scenario that she
probably just needs to remember that way.  More important, the messages I
tried so hard to deliver two years ago did stick in many other ways, and
she's thrilled and proud to be doing so well this time.  She said there
needed to be more people like me.  I said there already *was* one more:
*her*, and when her neighbor or future DIL says, "How do I do this?"  she'll
be able to say, "Ah, I remember how...".  Those ol' ripples do just keep
spreading, sometimes in places we'd never suspect...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com