Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:25:28 EST
Allyson writes:

I   did a pre and post feed weight and this visit, he took only 1.1 oz.

~~
It's kinda late here but one thing jumps out, that might be worth following
up on: a baby who takes only 1 ounce from breast and yet takes 4 from a bottle
 warrants follow-up, in my opinion. This baby might be at risk for complete
breast rejection in the future. I would  ask what kind of bottle, to assess
potential flow rate issues.  I would ask how often is this  "occasional"
bottle, and be concerned if it is even as regular as once a day. I  would also ask
what the interval is after that big bottlefeeding, still an  hour, or longer?
I would make sure that the previous weight gain continues  in the upcoming
weeks, without regular supplementation. If at all possible, it  might help if the
mom does not offer any supplementation at all for a few days,  assuming the
"occasional use" is a real description,  and see how the  baby behaves, and
recheck the weights. One other thing that sticks out  is  the inter-feed
interval. Every hour and half might be feasible without  meaning any issues, but most
babies are not nursing every hour, especially at  this age, though with
reflux, or palate issues, or  tracheomalacia/laryngomalacia, or early teething, that
might be noted. It  might be good to keep an eye on this baby for at least
the next few weeks. It is  always nice to learn that nothing is going wrong, but
it seems worth keeping an  eye on, or out for, these things...

Just my thoughts,
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan Fram, PT,  IBCLC, LLLL