From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:38:59 -0700
I think that eventually we are going to have to refine this term. Generally
speaking, it is usually used to refer to not enough glandular tissue. But
not enough when--- before the pregnancy? At the end of pregnancy?

Some women clearly start pregnancy with unusual, deficient-appearing breast
tissue that also does not do much during pregnancy or after. Other women
start pregnancy with breasts that we have seen do a lot; some may look
perfectly normal, others questionable. But breasts in either of these
categories that don't respond to pregnancy ultimately won't  have enough
glandular tissue.  So was it a case of not having enough to start with, or
simply not developing the additional tissue that should occur during
pregnancy?  Did our tree stay in a dormant, winter-like stage, or did it try
to go through spring and summer?

When I see these breasts, and I see more than I like, I'm always trying to
figure out which came first, the chicken or the egg?  What I probably need
to do is start looking at mammograms and seeing what "normal" looks like,
and then get images of these breasts that aren't doing much and compare
them. Better yet, take breast with a bad lactation history and get an image
before/early pregnancy and then at the end.

There is so much more to this topic than we realize.

~Lisa