From:
Carlos Gonzalez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 00:34:31 +-200
Here, in Spain, we are not advanced enough to have a year paid maternity
leave. Only 4 months (we are a poor country). But, of course, we want
more... I can not agree that the mother who enjoys a paid maternity leave
is eluding  the responsibilities of having a child or forcing employers and
others to share her lifestyle. For those of you that don't are confident
with the concept of social welfare, as practized in Europe, I will try to
explain it in several ways:
1.- Social Security usually pays for the maternity leave. It is organized
like an insurance company. You pay every month and every year to be
protected "against the risk" of having a child; if you have a child, you
receive money. You are not receiving a charity or taking money from others;
it's your money, you have a right to it, the same way you get money from
the insurance company if your home caught fire.
2.- Governments pay many, many things. It depends on priorities. Some
governments believe that it is very important to have the Bomb, or a man in
the Moon, or many soldiers, or excellent intelligence services. Some
governments believe that it is very important that the next generation of
citizens be brought in the best possible condition. They spend their (our)
money accordingly...
3.- We also have a public system of Retirement Pensions. The money you pay
to the system is not saved for your retirement, but paid to the elderly
now. Your own pension will be paid by future young working people. So, if
you have lots of children and your neighbour has none, your children will
pay, someday, your neighbour's pension. It is only justice if he helps you
to pay for the care of your children.
                        Carlos Gonzalez
                        Barcelona