From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:25:10 -0500
For those who see fast-growing, colicky babies who are thought to be
allergic to mom's milk, the following references are really, really
helpful.  Mothers adore the first one.  Many tell me, "How did the authors
know?  It's as if they've been right here in my house watching my baby and
me!"

Effects of an over-active let-down reflex.  Andrusiak BA and
Larose-Kuzenko M.  Lactation Consultant Series, Unit # 13.  Available from
La Leche League International (and ILCA?)

Colic, "ovefrfeeding", and symptoms of lactose malabsorption in the
breast-fed baby:  a possible artifact of feed management?  1988.
Woolridge MW and Fisher C.  Lancet, Aug 13, 1988, 382-384.

Finish the first breast first.  1995.  Vickers MC.  Leaven (LLL's Journal
for Leaders), Sept Oct 1995: 69-71.

Overactive let-down:  consequences & treatments.  1995.  Jozwiak M.
Leaven, Sept Oct 1995:  71-72.

This is *such* a fixable problem!  To avoid it in the first place, I urge
moms to nurse like dogs or horses or mice or any other mammals:  switch
the baby to the other side if he indicates he's finished with the first,
or if you're bored with nursing on that side, or if you get uncomfortable
in that position, or if you need that hand free for something else... for
any reason at all *except* in-order-to-make-sure-he-takes-the-other-side.
(This is assuming that nursing is going basically well.)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY