From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:00:40 +1000
Jennifer,
The words I would like to use to describe my opinion of the personal
qualities of the Dr who said that she had outlived her usefulness should not
be used on a public forum like Lactnet. I think that you can discount that
statement, no good reason given for the opinion by the sound. Perhaps her
milk might need fortification of some sort but it has to be much better for
her son than a commercial product, especially if there is any risk of
aspiration. He's only a baby for goodness sake! Weaning at 1yo is premature
weaning by any knowledgeable professional's standard. Friend's make for good
support but and ignorance and arrogance make a bad Dr IMO! That's my gut
reaction to your post as a non-health care professional!

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in a case I was involved in
recently. In this case a child several years old, with severe brain damage
(ataxia, problems with muscle tone, seizures, g-tube fed, nonambulatory and
non-verbal) started to breastfeed (suckle at the breast, mother is not
lactating) after being in skin to skin contact with his mother. My
interpretation of the situation is that environmental triggers brought up
the "breastfeeding program" that babies are born with....Tina Smillie's seen
it with young babies I've seen it in post-institutionalised adopted children
up to 12 years of age. It has been a lovely thing for this mother and I
though I know that this might not have any applicability to your friend, you
never know it just might!

Karleen Gribble
Australia

Dear Wise Ones,
> I haven't posted in a long time, but I've been reading intermittently,
just
> too busy to keep up.  Of course now I'm back because I'm hoping someone
will
> know more than I do about a particular child.
> I have permission to post.  I've mentioned this baby before on Lactnet.
He