From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:34:23 -0500
Two of my four kids were what I called "barfy." I always carried an extra
receiving blanket or two around with me to mop things up, but since both
gained weight just fine and didn't seem to be especially distressed by the
vomiting, I didn't worry too much about it. At least breast milk doesn't
stain!

My son outgrew this at about 9 months. My daughter has continued to be
"barfy" to this day - she's now 20 years old, and almost anything can make
her throw up - nervousness before a test, the excitement of a birthday
party, food that is overly spicy, etc. She just seems to have a stomach that
reacts readily to that kind of thing. (I am the same, by the way.)

I think that if I was working with this mother, I would encourage her not to
worry too much about it, as long as the other things are still good. I did
find that small frequent feedings seemed to work best - the worst times were
when they had taken an unexpectedly long nap and woke up starving and drank
a lot of milk, then most of it would come right back. Smaller feedings were
more likely to stay down.

Teresa