From:
Rachel Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:54:00 -0500
Vicki,

My oldest son will soon be 23 years old. Since I worked in a hospital doing
labor, delivery, newborn care I had access to a hospital-grade breastpump
during my long hours away from him. It was a hugh Egnel which pumped one
breast at a time and their accessary kit did not use feeding bottles to
collect the milk. They used a graduated measuring cup that the kit snapped
onto.

I have that measuring cup in my kitchen and use it often to this day! It is
a great size and very handy to use and wash. Since it was unbreakable, my
boys grew up with this being "their" measuring cup for kitchen hands-on
science experiments, etc.  They have both wanted to take it to their own
place now that they live away from home. But, I've shared with them where
it came from and my fond memories of nursing them and pumping when away to
provide my milk for them for the first years of their life. And how
important it was to me to have done that for them. Although they still want
it, they both have decided the cup should stay with me (for now).

For me that cup has become one of the many positive symbols of nursing in
my home.

But, if it had been a feeding bottle to collect milk, I'd have thrown it
away long ago from lack of need for it.

Rachel